Estonia’s 14th largest town Jõhvi has a population of more than 10,000.
The settlement most probably dates back to more than 1,000 years. It was, however, first mentioned in 1241 when this part of Estonia was under the Danish rule. While in the 1960s Jõhvi was united with Kohtla-Järve, making the town lose its town status, this status was restored in 1991, helping Jõhvi become the most prominent trade center of the county.
Jõhvi features Estonia’s largest industrial park that specialises in chemicals, the Baltic Chemical Park.